Well, I apologize for not posting any pictures recently. Yesterday was busy, what with all the scuba diving and very authentic and delicious food to enjoy.
When we're not there, we are in the classroom, which is the only place where there is AC. Our lectures are pretty much photo slide shows of the vairous species of coral and fish that we need to know.
After the second dive yesterday (which I did bring my camera to, only to find out later that they haven't developed disposable cameras here in over 4 years) we had our first lecture, and I volunteered to be the TA. All I do though is work the ID program while Dr. Houston talks about the coral or the fish.
Dinner last night was a choice between Creole Shrimp or Roast beef. I had the roast beef. The food here is some of the best resort/restaurant food I have ever tasted. So after the meal we went down to the bar to chill. We combined three tables and sat around them. I orded a 'Rum Punch', which was this delicious tropical fruit punch with rum. Some of the other drinks ordered: 'Zombie', 'Dirty Shirley', and 'Sex on the Beach'.
Following the social hour we went back to the rooms and relaxed next to a Citronella Candle. Then we cracked open two coconuts that two of the girls spent the day trying to open...by throwing them at trees and rocks. They soon borrowed a dive knife and tried cutting at it, only to give up and hand it over to Nick (who owned the knife). He and another guy, Denver, soon started hacking away at the husks. After several entertaining seconds, the nut was exposed and drained using a corkscrew from Nick's Swiss Army knife. We then passed the halves around with every body taking turns carving out some of the insides for themselves. Afterwards we called it a night, only to discover two geckos hiding out in our room. They were quickly dubbed: 'Anthony' and 'Gespatcho'.
Today we did an ID dive. Where Dr. Houston and Jennifer from RIMS placed ID tags next to 15 coral species. Then we dove down and had to draw and label them on our slates. 18 people swimming within 20ft of each other caused some problems...mainly the 'oops, i didnt mean to kick you in the head with my fins' kind. That and the millions of tiny jellyfish also made it rather...interesting. It wasnt until after the dive that people saw all the little bumps on their arms and legs from getting stung, (myself included). However the only stinging I felt was a minor pinch on my elbow.
Well, its still hot, and its still humid, and fortunately we still have a lecture left (yay for AC) and dinner. I am definately going to try to go to bed earlier tonight as I am tired. I will be sure to post some more pictures tomorrow. Until then.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment