Roatan - Where is it?

Roatan - Where is it?

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dolphins + Tests....BEST DAY EVER

Sooooooo, yesterday was probably the best day of the trip and one of my favorite days of all time.

First off we had our first 'field exam'.  This test was on identifying stony coral, soft coral, and sponges.  The format of the test was this: Dr. Houston gave each of us a piece of waterproof paper with 22 names on them, varying from being a scientific name (Genus species) to a common name or family name.  Next to the list was a 'Yes' or 'No' column.  He spilt us into two groups, one assigned to him, the other to the RIMS researcher, Jennifer.  Then the test began.  Before using up all our air, we had to find 15 of the 22 items on the list and show it to Dr Houston.  If it was correct, he would initial in the 'Yes' column.  If it was wrong...well you can figure it out.  Needless to say, it was a giant mob of people underwater each vying for his attention.  I ran out of air (got down to 500 psi...aka 'low on air') and had to surface.  I managed to get 14 of the 15 so I was good.

The second test (this morning) was the same kind of thing except it was for finding and ID'ing fish.  Now you'd think that it would be harder, but it fact, it was much easier.  And I was the third one done with plenty of air left.  With that done, we all were overjoyed in not having to study any more until the final.

Now, onto the best part of the trip: the Dolphin encounter.  Yes you heard it right...I GOT TO SWIM WITH DOLPHINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  The beginning of the encounter involved us split into small groups and each was assigned a trainer and a dolphin.  I dont remember what our trainer's name was, but the dolphin was named Fiona.  The trainer gave us a brief dolphin 101, all while letting us pet the dolphin.  After that was the dolphin swim.  We put on our snorkel gear and had free roam of the enclosure.  Pretty much one of the coolest things ever.  You would be swimming around then all of a sudden a dolphin would swim right next to you.  Or you would be hovering and one would swim right at you, then turn at the last second.  They were all close enough to touch and even hug!  After 30 minutes of swimming with them, we had to leave.  Fortunately during the encounter, a photographer took pictures of each one of us getting a 'kiss' from the dolphin and pictures of us 'hugging' dolphins.  I really wanted to get a picture of me 'high-5'ing' a dolphin, but I guess this will have to do.

The pictures will be posted soon.  It just that I didnt put sunscreen on that day cause it was cloudy, so I ended up being really pink and slightly sunburned in my pictures.  I sent them to Gaby so she can edit them and I will post them when I get those back from her.

No comments:

Post a Comment